Monday, July 13, 2009

No food, just fluids -- 2 hours in

Day one of the two-week pre-surgery liquid diet. I have to ingest at least 100 grams of protein a day, plus 64 ounces of clear fluids. The ingesting part is not too bad, it’s the hunger and desire to chew on something later today that I am afraid of.

I veer between apprehension and excitement. This is the start of the new me, or the improved me – I hope.

So here are some of the reasons I am doing this… Things I need to remember as I hit the rough patches in this process (in no particular order):

Feel better about myself
Be able to buy fashionable clothes & look good in them
Fit comfortably into airplane seats and not need a seatbelt extension
Have more energy
Look attractive to men
Have sex
Not feel scared about seeing people who knew me when I was skinny
Set a good example for my niece and nephews
Allow my family not to worry about my health and well-being
Be healthier

LATER THE SAME DAY:
Now I know what it feels like for smokers and drug addicts to try to kick their habits: It feels like a minute by minute fight to tolerate hunger accept the fact that there will be no food for a very long time. Just yucky protein drinks, water and broth.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't have to do the liquid diet, but I was around a friend that did.. It gets easier in the passing days.. Her surgery actually got pushed back a few days into her liquid diet (ie., a longer liquid diet, since she couldn't go back on solids), and she handled it well once she made it through the first few days! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete